Anyone Play 2003/04?

LeeStricklin
Forums Participant
United States of America

Re: Anyone Play 2003/04?

Post by LeeStricklin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm

I was always a bit let down by Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal Tournament 2004 as they felt rather floaty, had a cartoony appearance (in spite being forked off the rather dark XBox game Unreal Championship), and weapons just felt off. It should also be noted that while UT2004 does have more content than Championship 1, it still feels like an inferior game due to how different the tone is (Epic and Digital Extremes went two different directions, DE went dark while Epic went more wrestling styled) and if you ever played both of those games you would see and hear what I'm talking about. In fact, here's my sloppy breakdown of them:

Unreal Championship
----------------------------
Darker more depressing presentation and backstory, in spite sharing UT2k3's intro video
Guns that look and feel like they're made to kill people
Better use of soundtrack (most notably on DM Insidius, DM Curse 3, and CTF Chrome) as well as some exclusive tracks which are rather dark and disturbing
Darker color palette (exclusive maps especially were rather dark and used a lot of the exclusive music in the game)
Straight forward death animations
Could be the controller, but the game felt heavier
Better polished than UT2k3 due to coming out later and having been in development earlier

Unreal Tournament 2003/2004
----------------------------
More Smackdown! style presentation and back story
Guns that look like children's toys
Extremely limited soundtrack in UT2k3, more cinematic style soundtrack in UT2k4, overall nowhere as good as UC1
Goofy/cartoony death animations (skeletons popping out, etc.)
Unnecessary details that clash with environments (most notably on DM Insidius where lava pits were added in UT2k4)
Extremely floaty feel
More game modes (in UT2k4), but overall they feel less refined