This is for all Mappers out there

Chamberly
Forums Participant

Re: This is for all Mappers out there

Post by Chamberly »

I'm all for anyone being available to contribute to the game with maps and other things. But there is 1 thing that still has to follow - the mapping etiquette. Especially file mismatches, they need to learn to prevent those. Every time I see one that has the file I tell the author, and I kid you not, some author does not fix that and not willing to learn, earns a dishonorable degree in my book. :P

It's an easy fix.

Oh, enjoy the necropost. lol.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

Chamberly wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 am I'm all for anyone being available to contribute to the game with maps and other things. But there is 1 thing that still has to follow - the mapping etiquette. Especially file mismatches, they need to learn to prevent those. Every time I see one that has the file I tell the author, and I kid you not, some author does not fix that and not willing to learn, earns a dishonorable degree in my book. :P

It's an easy fix.

we like all posts :)

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
Chamberly
Forums Participant

Post by Chamberly »

Yay! :)
=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Chamberly wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 am I'm all for anyone being available to contribute to the game with maps and other things. But there is 1 thing that still has to follow - the mapping etiquette. Especially file mismatches, they need to learn to prevent those. Every time I see one that has the file I tell the author, and I kid you not, some author does not fix that and not willing to learn, earns a dishonorable degree in my book. :P

It's an easy fix.

Most generally these days, I embed most of my files within the map itself. That way, there's a lot less possibility of mis-matches. If for some reason, I can't embed a file, I give it a name that nobody will ever use. :thumbup
Chamberly
Forums Participant

Post by Chamberly »

Yeah, that's fine. That's great that you do that too. Thx
=(V)=Blade_Runner
Forums Participant

Post by =(V)=Blade_Runner »

i know old post and im very new to doing maps and learning ue 2 had same from a few already it does my nut in i will continue to to try and make some and hopefully i can pull some good maps of in future just doing my bit for comuinty and game from dying i could do with any advice regard it though if any can be given
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

I'm just getting started with some simple mapping. So, I have a very deep appreciation for all the effort that goes into making the maps!!

Question:

It's become obvious that dropping created ACTORS into a map is what makes it work. Like creating an opening door. But, does a mapper have to create an actor from scratch every time??? Or, is there some place where there's a repository of actors that I could download to simplify the effort? I think it's dumb to make an opening door, for example, if it's been done 1,000 times already. Just watched a YouTube video, and creating an opening door actor was the subject of the video. I understand how it's done, but hope that someone else has done lots of that preliminary work already, and that I don;t have to re-do every single ACTOR I want to use.

Ideas?
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

For decades now (yes, 1999 was a long time ago), I have run a server, and have found that when adding a map, it's important to use all the necessary additional files. I have a program, MAP MANAGER, that when I highlight a map in my maps folder, it comes up with the list of needed files for that map (UNR), and the program allows me to properly ZIP all the files up, including putting .utx files in the /textures folder, .umx in the /music folder, etc. It's been very helpful when uploading files for use in a new server, or where some maps are to be added to an existing server (like =VM=)

Not sure how to get all those files actually in the .UNR file, but would be happy to learn. In the meantime, if anyone would like a copy of Map Manager, let me know, and I will make it available here. Not hard to find on the internet.

=(V)=Kevster wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Most generally these days, I embed most of my files within the map itself. That way, there's a lot less possibility of mis-matches. If for some reason, I can't embed a file, I give it a name that nobody will ever use. :thumbup

Return to “Mapping”