UT99 On Windows 8

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(V)=Muffin
Captain

UT99 On Windows 8

Post by =(V)=Muffin »

I recently tried to install UT on a computer with Windows 8. Installed all the necessary patches and everything, but when I try to start it up, it literally doesn't run. The screen will either just completely turn black without doing anything, or it will act as if it's minimized. Is there anything I'm missing or is there a normal fix for this?
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Re: UT99 On Windows 8

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

First thing I would try would be to uninstall and reinstall UT as well as make sure you have the latest graphic drivers for your video card.

In addition more details or a clarity on details could be beneficial:

1 How did you install UT? As in, did you install it from a cd? Or did you follow these instructions? http://www.vulpinemission.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1018

2 By patches do you mean UT patches? Did you download and install all the Microsoft updates for your system as well through Microsoft update?

3 Were you ever able to get to the Choose the Graphic Driver screen after installing UT to select the appropriate graphics driver you wanted to run UT?

4 After UT doesn't start do you have the option the next time you run UT to select a new graphics driver?

5 By "completely turn black without doing anything" do you mean the computer freezes up? Or do you mean the screen goes black but you can Ctrl+Alt+Del and End the Task?
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

try a different render. http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ also make sure the system is fully windows patched.

Bloody you da man love your approach.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=SILVER_FOX
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=SILVER_FOX »

Why windows 8 though.. its more crap than crap it self! Go back to win 7 or go win 10 :)

sig by =(V)=DASH
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=SILVER_FOX wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 am Why windows 8 though.. its more crap than crap it self! Go back to win 7 or go win 10 :)

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:51 pm
=(V)=SILVER_FOX wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 am Why windows 8 though.. its more crap than crap it self! Go back to win 7 or go win 10 :)
I installed the corporate version of Windows 8.1 on Badco's machine and it's rock solid. Actually takes less resources than Windows 10. Windows 10 is a resource hog to some degree. UT99 runs excellent on his game box. Used a free program to add the start button back in. He's very happy with it.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

I see huge performance gains on windows 10 compared to 8.1 especially on my surface pro ;) guess depends on what build you are on

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

=(V)=Muffin wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:57 am I recently tried to install UT on a computer with Windows 8. Installed all the necessary patches and everything, but when I try to start it up, it literally doesn't run. The screen will either just completely turn black without doing anything, or it will act as if it's minimized. Is there anything I'm missing or is there a normal fix for this?
This is the for sure the render choice.
After that you are going to message missing .dll.

Use UTV3 optimized revised 11/07/16 you ave just to change your name that all ^^
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7 the second part is in US language.

Direct links
UnrealTournament-V3.exe
UnrealTournament-V3.exe
UnrealTournament-V3.exe
=(V)=Muffin
Captain

Post by =(V)=Muffin »

Omg facepalm, I meant Windows 10. I dunno why I put 8, that's gross.

And yes, by turning black, I mean I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close it. I'll try changing the render tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

UTv3 is optimized to for win 10 ^^
default d3d9 for work with all configures and dll in place

Return to “Computer Geeks”