New PC build

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

New PC build

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

I was going to use this PSU because I bought it new and haven't used it yet :

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/smart-500w.html

RocketJedi threw a recommendation to go with the nVidia GTX 1660 ti - it has great specifications for what I intend to use it for, so I was just on the PC Partspicker site selecting a motherboard, CPU, and memory, etc. It red flagged me and stated "this doesn't work with this". I thought that site was made to end the confusion and time it takes to do all this.

Now I think I may just get a Dell mid or full tower. I wanted to build my own and use Win 7/64. That Win 10 crap is not going on anything. I have Linux 16.04 LTS and I like it, but I know my way around a Win-based machine much better.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, but kinda related; a friend sold me her HP lappy (15-ay009dx) for thirty bucks. She said she paid seven hundred for it 4 years ago. It had a 1TB drive in it, and that's all I wanted it for, but it was stuffed with an Intel i3 and 6GB of RAM, so I put an SSD in it, and that thing is super fast (Compared to all the other junk I've worked with).

It was giving her issues, though. It was Win 10 out of the box and I told her I could work on it for her, but she just went out and bought another HP. I grabbed all the drivers from HP, connected their Support Assistant software, told Win Update to have at it, and the ethernet controller and USB controller both have issues. Device Manager states "The drivers are not found", even though they are. I am kinda thinking that machine is not backwards compatible to Win 7.

~ Don't Let The Bastards Drag You Down ~
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New PC build

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

i wouldn't worry about windows 10 spying.. were spied on all day everyday one more wont make a difference :) with that said windows 10 isn't perfect, but every game i own works flawlessly on it without having to dick around. win 7 look and runs ancient .. maybe i'm too used to win 10 to ever go back. it's just so pretty and snappy.

edit: anytime anyone including myself gets a new windows 10 machine right away I do a system reset using the tool built into windows 10. they use imaging when selling new machines and sometimes those images are messed up. Also the bloatware on the systems slow down new systems out of the box.

Your right though the laptop is most likey not compatible with windows 7 just image windows 10 on it and do not install ANY HP software. Jsut dodwnload the drivers manually and install them trust me you will be happpier this way. and fuck waht a steal you got on that laptop. at least worth 400$

I jsut sold my hp from 2012 for 125$

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

Good advice. Thank you.

I have used Win 10 and as you said : "The bloatware on the systems slow down new systems out of the box." I don't wanna make time to play around with it all day. I really thought Win 7 was the best one out of the bunch. (Let's just forget 8 and Vista)

In a corporate environment, look at at how many years went by before major corporations migrated away from XP. It took forever, because they trusted it, and their IT staff was like "Stay with this until we don't have a choice."

Now we are at the same thing with 7. Businesses are forced to jump on 10, because the official support ended in January. (Unless they want to baby-sit their server platforms all day) It really bothers me that Microsoft are doing this to their customers. I have Linux...... yes..... That could be my save all, but..... look at all the software out there that *isn't* Linux compatible.

I may re-do the little HP lappy and allow Microsuck to put 10 on it..... why not ? lol Then when I hate it, I will throw Linux on it and compare, and I already know what I will think. Linux hardly uses any system resources.... at all. It's a beautiful O/S. haha

All right... it's ugly on the eyes.... but so is 10... for me, anyways. My vision has rapidly deteriorated over the past decade. It's one of the reasons I shied away from online gaming. I just can't keep up, Bro.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this. - That goes out to everybody !

:computer

:angry-pc2

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=~Sean~ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 pm Good advice. Thank you.

I have used Win 10 and as you said : "The bloatware on the systems slow down new systems out of the box." I don't wanna make time to play around with it all day. I really thought Win 7 was the best one out of the bunch. (Let's just forget 8 and Vista)

In a corporate environment, look at at how many years went by before major corporations migrated away from XP. It took forever, because they trusted it, and their IT staff was like "Stay with this until we don't have a choice."

Now we are at the same thing with 7. Businesses are forced to jump on 10, because the official support ended in January. (Unless they want to baby-sit their server platforms all day) It really bothers me that Microsoft are doing this to their customers. I have Linux...... yes..... That could be my save all, but..... look at all the software out there that *isn't* Linux compatible.

I may re-do the little HP lappy and allow Microsuck to put 10 on it..... why not ? lol Then when I hate it, I will throw Linux on it and compare, and I already know what I will think. Linux hardly uses any system resources.... at all. It's a beautiful O/S. haha

All right... it's ugly on the eyes.... but so is 10... for me, anyways. My vision has rapidly deteriorated over the past decade. It's one of the reasons I shied away from online gaming. I just can't keep up, Bro.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this. - That goes out to everybody !

:computer

:angry-pc2
The real reason imo is companies didn't switch because its costs a boat load of money, time, and resources to upgrade. There were literately so many contract jobs just for upgrading systems from xp to 7 as well as 7 to 10

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

^ that was definitely good for you, man. :)

=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Sean, you can disable and modify a lot of the nuances of Windows 10 by using either or both of the free utilities I have listed below. They work well. I use them all the time to disable the stupid shit that Microsoft uses to track you and the nonsensical services they enable which rob your horsepower. I also use these utilities in combination with each other, to setup new laptops for the users in the company I work for. The laptops are actually faster, after disabling all the retarded bullshit that Microsoft adds to Windows 10.

Winaero Windows 10 Tweaker

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
Cross_Eyed_Noob
V.I.P.

Post by Cross_Eyed_Noob »

=(V)=Kevster wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:20 am Sean, you can disable and modify a lot of the nuances of Windows 10 by using either or both of the free utilities I have listed below. They work well. I use them all the time to disable the stupid shit that Microsoft uses to track you and the nonsensical services they enable which rob your horsepower. I also use these utilities in combination with each other, to setup new laptops for the users in the company I work for. The laptops are actually faster, after disabling all the retarded bullshit that Microsoft adds to Windows 10.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
Do you mind sharing a list of stuff that you disable please ?
=(V)=Kevster

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Cross_Eyed_Noob wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:32 am
=(V)=Kevster wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:20 am Sean, you can disable and modify a lot of the nuances of Windows 10 by using either or both of the free utilities I have listed below. They work well. I use them all the time to disable the stupid shit that Microsoft uses to track you and the nonsensical services they enable which rob your horsepower. I also use these utilities in combination with each other, to setup new laptops for the users in the company I work for. The laptops are actually faster, after disabling all the retarded bullshit that Microsoft adds to Windows 10.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
No, not at all. I'll shoot that out to you later on today! :thumbup
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
didn't even know about these programs wow. I mean I disabled everything manually. just curious what these do

=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

Yes... excellent. I am glad we are talking about all this.

I had a corporate edition of Win 10 thrown at me when it was first released. I saw how ugly on my eyes it was and threw it straight away. Businesses are migrating to 10 now because they have to. I guess I better learn to like it if I want to repair their 'puters without scratching my head all day going "Why the hell did they do this?"

I ended up putting Linux 18 on that newer HP lappy I bought from my friend. Guess what ? No errors at all with the USB or Ethernet controllers. That's a damn fine O/S ! I spent weeks tinkering around with HP's customer support to no avail. Damn them all to hell ! Linux, baby !

haha

/end rant

=(V)=Kevster

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
Relative to your request, here's a collage I made of the things I normally disable. There's a ton more things that you can do though. You have to experiment with some, but take for example, Windows Defender. If you have a great anti-virus program like Bit Defender, there's no need for Windows Defender to be active. It's just taking up resources and eating up your horsepower. Microsoft has all sorts of bullshit ads that are loaded with the OS. I've disabled them. Take a look. I hope my collage is easy enough to view.

=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

honest the best thing for windows 10 is this. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... start.html

i was playing around with the apps above... disclaimer if you don't know what your doing do not use these apps.

Cross_Eyed_Noob
V.I.P.

Post by Cross_Eyed_Noob »

=(V)=Kevster wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 am

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
Relative to your request, here's a collage I made of the things I normally disable. There's a ton more things that you can do though. You have to experiment with some, but take for example, Windows Defender. If you have a great anti-virus program like Bit Defender, there's no need for Windows Defender to be active. It's just taking up resources and eating up your horsepower. Microsoft has all sorts of bullshit ads that are loaded with the OS. I've disabled them. Take a look. I hope my collage is easy enough to view.

Sweet ! Tank you very much :smile
=(V)=Kevster

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
didn't even know about these programs wow. I mean I disabled everything manually. just curious what these do
Here's a few videos to explain in more detail, how both Windows 10 utilities work. With Winaero, there's a link included with the program, which shows you what the result of changing a certain Windows 10 function will be, before you actually make the changes.

Winaero Demonstrational Video Version 0.17 is the current version.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.6 Demonstrational Video (this video was shot using version 4.6. 4.7 is now out)

Return to “Computer Geeks”